Marvin Morales was born in Guatemala City, Guatemala, in 1979. That year his family immigrated to the United States and settled in the small West Texas town of Plainview, Texas, where he was raised along with three sisters and one brother. Marvin vividly recalls the long lines his family stood in to gain legal status under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986. Later in life, Marvin successfully completed the naturalization process on his own, becoming a first-generation United States Citizen. Marvin enjoys spending his free time with his beautiful wife, Stephanie, and their two miniature schnauzers, Moxie and Piper.
- Texas, 2009
- St. Mary’s University School of Law (San Antonio, Texas)
- Juris Doctorate, 2009
- St. Mary’s University Bill Greehey School of Business (San Antonio, Texas)
- Master of Business Administration, 2009
- University of Texas at Austin (Austin, Texas)
- Bachelor of Arts, 2003
- Law Office of Marvin I. Morales, San Antonio, Texas
- Solo Practitioner, 2009-Present
- Manage law practice primarily representing municipalities and government agencies as well as criminal and family law clients; represent cities in litigation in state district and appellate courts, and hearings before administrative bodies, quasi-judicial bodies and courts of record; advise council, board members and department heads of home-rule and general law municipalities; handle transactional matters in real estate and contracts; prepare ordinances and administrative rules; conduct investigations into ethics complaints; prepare meeting notices agendas in compliance with open meeting and public records laws; represent clients in all levels of criminal matters (felony and misdemeanor); representing clients in child custody matters and divorces; representing clients in real estate disputes; drafting legal documents such as deeds, rental lease contracts; affidavits of heirship, small estate affidavits, power of attorney, medical power of attorney, HIPAA releases and purchase contracts. Assistant City Attorney and Municipal Prosecutor for the City of Pleasanton, Texas, Elmendorf, Texas, Somerset, Texas, Carrizo Springs, Texas, Pearsall, Texas and Dilley, Texas.
- Bexar County Criminal District Attorney’s Office, San Antonio, Texas
- Intern, 2007-2009
- Presented State’s position in plea bargain and motion to revoke hearings; prepared and filed motions for Assistant District Attorneys; researched topics related to criminal law and adjudication; investigated criminal history of defendants.
- St. Mary’s University School of Law Civil Justice Clinic, San Antonio, Texas
- Student Attorney, 2009
- Processed client intake at homeless shelters and outreach sites; reviewed and identified client’s legal issues; researched legal issues in probate, family, forcible detainer, consumer protection, DTPA, and bankruptcy law; prepared and filed motions and letters for clients in appropriate court or venue; presented forcible detainer cases in Justice Court.
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services, San Antonio, Texas
- Contract Technician III, 2003-2006
- Reviewed contracts, amendments, renewals, and budgets to ensure correctness and adherence to procedural requirements; conducted on-site audits monitoring contractor compliance with contract terms; provided training to providers on billing procedures.
- Fluent in Spanish